Tuesday, January 27, 2009

State of the Union 2

Of the artwork you have done, what is your personal favorite piece? Why do you like it?

My favorite piece, or at least one close to the top of the heap is a cut-paper/ink pen piece I did for IPC in freshman year, using an abandoned building i had previously made work about earlier in that same semester. It's my favorite i think because of the thinking and theory behind it. It dealt with the creative process, especially in that class, as well as creating a parallel between this process and mankind's ability to abandon structures carefully built and considered for a specific purpose. It means alot to me, and how i work as an illustrator.

What piece do other people like most? Do you agree? Why do you think they like it?

Other people's favorite piece would have to be the scratchboard piece of the whale and ship from the story, Sinbad and the Seven Voyages, I did in Illustration 2. I mean, as far as craft goes, its perhaps one of my best, and it is one of my favorites, but I still have technical problems with it. It's intricate, and there are nice features, and i think perhaps that's why people like it.

What piece surprised you the most?

I think the letter 'B', a photo i shot for a found typography exercise in Design 01, along with the rest of the alphabet i captured surprised me, because as i did the assignment, i began to look beyond just getting all the letters of the alphabet themselves in a collection, and i began to look into each letter as their own single entities, and i found that to be rather beautiful with some characters, namely the 'B'.

5 sketches or doodles I like as much as any finished piece:


No comments: